Bowen Island Library now has two birdwatching kits available for loan, as part of our “Library of Things.” Birdwatching (or “birding”) has become one of the fastest-growing, relaxing, and educational pastimes in North America for all ages, and we live in an ideal location to appreciate it.
Birdwatching supports STEAM learning (science, technology, engineering, arts, and math). The study of birds and their habitat can provide a deeper understanding of ecology, biodiversity, and the environment.
All you need is your Bowen Island Library card to check out a Birdwatching backpack kit! The current loan period for these kits is three weeks, with no renewals. You can place a hold through our online catalogue, or ask us to help.
Kits must be returned while we are open, and brought to the front desk.
What’s inside the backpack:
- A pair of high-quality Vortex Crossfire binoculars with soft case and straps
- The National Geographic Pocket Guide to the Birds of North America
- British Columbia Birds: A Folding Pocket Guide to Familiar Species
- Checklist of Bowen Island Birds (PDF), created by Bowen Nature Club
- Bowen Library physical materials on birds
- eBooks on birds (Library2Go / Libby)
- Online Resources: eMagazines Birdwatching, Bird Watching, and Audubon magazines are available online via Library2Go (OverDrive) or on the Libby app.
- Free birdwatching apps available from Google Play and the Apple App store:
- More information and resources through these local organizations and their websites: