Friends of the Library
The Friends of the Bowen Island Library Society
The Friends of the Library are an advocacy and fundraising group for the Bowen Island Library who fund a variety of programs and purchases for the library. Their primary source of fundraising is the annual book sale known as BookFest. The Friends are credited with establishing the first official government funded library on Bowen Island in the late 1970’s. Since that time they have continually supported and advocated for appropriate library service for Bowen Island. The Friends can be contacted via the library’s email firstname.lastname@example.org
BookFest – Friends Annual Book Sale
Bookfest, the annual fundraiser of the Friends of the Library takes place at the Bowen Island Community School gym. The sale usually takes place on the May long weekend (Victoria Day weekend).
The Friends also operate a year-round “Mini Bookstore” in the foyer of the library, raising additional funds for the library and providing library visitors with “like new” books to purchase.
Book Sale Donations
Donations for the Friends of the Library annual booksale in May can be brought directly to the library during open hours from autumn to early spring.Please call the library for exact dates.
The Friends ask that you pack materials in small “liftable” boxes (no larger than wine box size) and drop off at the library during open hours. Please do not leave boxes or bags of books outside the library doors when we are closed.
Guidelines for material donations
We love these items:
BOOKS AND MONOGRAPHS
- Children’s Books
- Hardcover Fiction and Nonfiction
- Trade Paper and Mass Market Paperbacks
- Antiquarian, Rare and Collectible Books
- Foreign Language Books (in Western Script)
- DVDs and Blu-ray Discs
- Books on CD
- Video Games
*Only complete disc sets with original case art
A QUICK NOTE ABOUT THE CONDITION OF MATERIALS.
Books must be free of mildew, mold, and dirt. They should not exhibit excessive spine damage, have missing pages, or be missing their covers. Books cannot have water damage. For media, sets must be complete and cannot be missing the original case art.
We cannot accept the following. Please recycle or donate elsewhere:
- Any books which do not meet the Condition Requirements above.
- Activity Books and Workbooks (ex: Coloring Books)
- Annuals and Yearbooks
- Audio Cassettes, VHS Tapes, LP Records, & Computer Software
- Books Published by Magazines (ex: Reader’s Digest Condensed and Time-Life Books)
- Case Law and Procedural Books
- Custom Course Packets
- Dated Reference Material – over 5 years old (travel guides, computer books, etc)
- Directories and Telephone Books
- Free Copies, Examination Copies, or Advanced Reading Copies
- Journals and Periodicals (ex: Literary Criticisms)
- Microfilm and Microfiche
- Magazines (ex: National Geographic)
- Non-Western Script Books
- Tax and Government Documents or Forms