Skip to content
Consumer Reports – usually the first place someone thinks of to look for information, find reliable reviews and ratings for common household appliances, electronics, automobiles, and other products.
Search EBSCO, choose General/News Databases, then click on Advanced Search below the search bar. Fill out the “Limit your results” as per below (click on Full Text, and fill out Consumer Reports under Publication)
Consumer Product Reviews
- ConsumerSearch – brings together product reviews from many quality sources, compiles them into an overall rating, and provides comments on any discrepancies between reviews.
- Wirecutter (New York Times blog) – product reviews from readers.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB) – check reviews and BBB accreditation status of businesses.
- Complaint Roadmap (Innovation Canada) – a step-by-step guide to resolving a consumer-related dispute with a company, business, or individual. Includes information on going to court if all other avenues fail.
- Consumer Protection BC – helping consumers by providing information on a wide range of marketplace issues, consumer tips and resources on a variety of topics such as handling parking disputes, choosing a moving company, and avoiding telemarketing scams.
- Office of Consumer Affairs (Government of Canada) – promotes the interests and protection of Canadian consumers by providing quality information to the public and investigating complaints.
Home Guides & Rebates
- EnerGuide (Government of Canada) – guide to energy-efficient appliances, heating and cooling, and more.
Personal Finance & Budgets
- ABC Money Matters – Resources – free introductory financial literacy program for adult learners, offering resources on general financial literary, and information specific for Indigenous peoples, and people with diverse abilities. Developed by ABC Life Literacy Canada in partnership with the Government of Canada and TD Bank Group.
- Budget Planner (Government of Canada) – tool lets you create a budget you can save and update online.
- Canadian Banking Basics (Canadian Bankers Association) offers an accessible overview of different banking topics, including: choosing the right bank account, help with debt, cybersecurity, information for seniors, help with digital banking, banking for farmers, and more.
- Canadian Financial Literacy Database – Resources, events, tools and information on budgeting, money management, insurance, saving, investing, and taxes from various Canadian organizations.
- GetSmarterAboutMoney.ca (Ontario Securities Commission) provides unbiased and independent financial tools to help you make better financial decisions.
- Kelley Blue Book – reviews, ratings, and price information for new and used vehicles.