Books Can Help!
Book List • April 2020
While this list links to our catalogue, please note that, during COVID-19, the library has limited ours and services. However, most of these book suggestions have eBook and eAudiobook versions. Contact us if you need help accessing any of our electronic resources from home.
These are some suggestions that can:
- lift your mood
- pass the time
- give you something else to think about!
Entertaining and fun, with no nasty surprises.
- Jenny Colgan — The Café by The Sea (book)
- Katie Fforde — A Country Escape (book)
- Nina George — The Little Paris Bookshop
- Rachel Joyce — The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry (book)
- Jennifer Robson — The Gown
- Mary Ann Shaffer — The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society
- Helen Simonson — Major Pettigrew’s Last Stand
- Graeme Simsion — The Rosie Project
- Patrick Taylor — An Irish Country Cottage
- Amor Towles — A Gentleman In Moscow
Long Term Projects
All the time in the world to read and enjoy!
(Click the links to see the various formats these series’ are available in—books, eBooks, eAudiobooks, CD audiobooks, and even DVD films.)
- Jeffrey Archer — The Clifton Chronicles (eBooks, eAudiobooks, books)
- Ken Follett — Pillars Of The Earth (eBooks, eAudiobooks, books, CD audiobooks)
- Diana Gabaldon — Outlander series (eBooks, eAudiobooks, books, DVDs)
- Alexander McCall Smith — The No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series (eBooks, eAudiobooks, books)
- Hilary Mantel — The Wolf Hall trilogy (eBooks, eAudiobooks, books, DVD)
- K. Rowling — Harry Potter series (eBooks, eAudiobooks, books, DVDs)
- Edward Rutherfurd — Paris (eBook, eAudiobook, book, CD audiobook); The Princes of Ireland (book)
- Wilbur Smith — The Courtney Family series (eBooks, books)
Other worlds—with different problems!
- Douglas Adams — The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy series (books, eBooks, eAudiobooks)
- Margaret Atwood — The Handmaid’s Tale (eBook, book, & DVD); The Testaments (eBook, book)
- Mary Stewart — The Arthurian Saga (books)
Hard to concentrate for long with so much to worry about? Try short stories for a brief respite.
- Best Canadian Stories (books)
- Doctorow: collected stories (book)
- Roddy Doyle — Bullfighting
- Mavis Gallant — Montreal Stories
- Graham Greene — The Last Word and Other Stories (book)
- The O.Henry Prize Stories (books)
- Kazuo Ishiguro – Nocturnes
- The Journey Prize Stories (books)
- Alice Munro — Family Furnishings (book)
- Kurt Vonnegut — While Mortals Sleep (book)