Visiting the Library During COVID
Updated: June 15, 2021
The Library is open during COVID. Things look a little different, so please read the following. You can also find out more on our Library COVID-19 Updates page.
Where do I enter?
- Please enter at the Library Annex (north) door, by the book drop slot. A green light means we have capacity for you to enter, while a red light means please wait.
- Exit by the front (south) door only.
What should I know before coming?
- We will limit the number of patrons, so be prepared to wait in line (2 meters apart) at busy times.
- For your protection and ours, the wearing of face masks is a provincial health authority expectation. If you do not have a mask we can provide you with one. Staff will also be wearing masks or face shields.
- We encourage you to use the provided hand sanitizer before entering and on your way out.
- Because of our occupancy limit, if possible, please limit the number in your group. For example, the kids’ area is very small and we encourage one adult to choose books for children, rather than bringing the whole family in.
- Please bring your library card. If you are checking out items for a friend or family member, please bring their library card with you, so we know you have their permission to check out to their account.
- Patrons are asked to limit time in the library to 45 minutes maximum for staff and public safety and due to the library’s limited occupancy
- One catalogue computer is available for patrons to use, but staff are also happy to search for items for you at the circulation desk, over the phone, or by email.
- An internet computer with printing is available, as well as our new email-to-print service, faxing, and scanning.
- A self-serve black & white photocopier is available.
- Our newspaper subscriptions have been suspended until we can provide space to stay and enjoy the papers.
- Patrons can pick up their items on hold inside the library during our open hours, or request contactless pickup (Takeout). Learn more about Takeout and holds.
How do I return books?
- Our outside Book Return slot is now open 24 hours. Patrons may also return books inside in the book drop slot at the circulation desk during open hours.
- To return Med Shed items, kits, and puzzles, please return them during our open hours.
- We ask that patrons please clean all medical equipment before returning it. (Staff will do a final sanitize of medical equipment.)
What about due dates & fines?
- Due dates are back to their regular lending periods, and regular late fines are now reinstated. Learn more.
- As always, items returned on a day that the library is not open will not accrue fines while the library is closed.
Is the Annex & Flex Room available?
- The Annex and Flex Room is not available for quiet study or private bookings.
I’m concerned about sharing books. What should I know?
- Guidelines for libraries and for library visitors, issued by the BC Centre for Disease Control (BCCDC), state that the risk of transmission from borrowed library items is very low. Read more here.
- We offer hand sanitizer at the front door and in the building and encourage everyone to use it.
- Read our Safety Plan here.
How may I get a library card?
Register online here, or come in person to the library with your ID showing your address.
We thank you in advance for your patience while we all adjust. We look forward to serving you in person soon!