Library Now Open!
Library Open Hours:
12-3 pm Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat
Thursdays, 10 am-12 pm
Return Bin Open: 24 hours
The Library has opened its doors once again! Things look a little different, so please read the following. You can also find out more on our Library COVID-19 Updates page.
Where do I enter?
- Please enter at the Library Annex (north) door, by the book drop slot. A staff member will be there to monitor the number of patrons in the building, and will let you know when you can enter.
- Exit by the front (south) door only.
What should I know before coming?
- We will limit the number of patrons, so be prepared to wait in line (2 meters apart) at busy times.
- Due to the narrow spaces in the library, we strongly recommend that patrons coming into the library wear a mask or face covering. Staff will be wearing masks or face shields.
- We encourage you to use the provided hand sanitizer before entering and on your way out.
- Because of our occupancy limit, if possible, please limit the number in your group. For example, the kids’ area is very small and we encourage one adult to choose books for children, rather than bringing the whole family in.
- Please bring your library card. If you are checking out items for a friend or family member, please bring their library card with you, so we know you have their permission to check out to their account.
- Patrons are asked not to linger. Chairs, couches, etc. will not be available at this time.
- Catalogue computers for patrons to use will not be available immediately, but staff are happy to search for items for you at the circulation desk, over the phone, or by email.
- Internet computers with printing are now available via our Connecting Through COVID program.
- A self-serve black & white photocopier is available.
- Our newspaper subscriptions have been suspended until we can provide space to stay and enjoy the papers.
What if I’m just picking up a hold?
- Our Takeout service has returned to our normal holds service.
- If you’re picking up items that you placed on hold from home and received a “ready to be picked up” notice for, check out your requested items from our front desk during open ours.
- Contactless pickup and delivery through Takeout Service is still available on request.
- Learn more about Takeout.
How do I return books?
- Our outside Book Return slot is now open 24 hours, and is the only place to return your books. Please do not bring materials for return into the library. Place them in the exterior return slots before you enter via the Annex, so we can quarantine them for 72 hours.
- There will be no book return inside the building.
- To return Med Shed items, please return them during our open hours, and hand them to our Annex entrance staff greeter.
- We ask that patrons please clean all medical equipment before returning it. (Staff will do a final sanitize and quarantine of medical equipment.)
How do I renew books?
- Please *do not* bring in items to renew. When you visit, tell us the book title and we will renew it on your account.
- You can renew your books yourself through our online catalogue. Log into your account to renew.
- You may also renew items with us over the phone or via email to email@example.com
What about due dates & fines?
- Due dates are back to their regular lending periods, and regular late fines are now reinstated. Learn more.
- Staff will check in your books after 72 hours of quarantine. You will not be fined for the quarantine period.
- If you have returned your items, please disregard any automated overdue messages (email, text) for those items during the following 72-hour book quarantine period.
Will the Annex & Flex Room be available?
- The Annex and Flex Room will not be available for quiet study or private bookings.
I’m concerned about sharing books. What should I know?
- We will continue to quarantine returned items for 72 hours before checking them in.
- We offer hand sanitizer at the front door and in the building and encourage everyone to use it.
- If you like, you can further quarantine your books for 72 hours when you take them home.
- Read our Safety Plan here.
How may I get a library card?
Don’t have a library card? No problem! Register online here, or come in person to the library with your ID showing your address.
We thank you in advance for your patience while we all adjust and adapt our services to this new reality.
We look forward to serving you in person soon!
*Seniors’ Hours are part of the Connecting through COVID program, provided in partnership with the Bowen Island Health Centre Foundation and supported by the Government of Canada’s Emergency Community Support Fund, Community Foundations of Canada, and the Bowen Island Community Foundation.