All gifts become the property of the Bowen Island Public Library, and donations may be added to the collection at the Library’s discretion. Bowen Library does not guarantee the inclusion nor the permanence of a donation in our collection.
Most donations go to our Friends of the Library for inclusion in their mini bookstore or their annual BookFest sale. Proceeds from the Friends book sales help to support Library collections, programs, and services.
Guidelines for Donating Material for the Friends Book Sale
The Friends love these items:
BOOKS AND MONOGRAPHS
- Children’s Books
- Hardcover Fiction and Nonfiction
- Trade Paper and Mass Market Paperbacks
- Antiquarian, Rare and Collectible Books
- Foreign Language Books (in Western Script)
- DVDs and Blu-ray Discs
- Books on CD
- Video Games
*Only complete disc sets with original case art
A QUICK NOTE ABOUT THE CONDITION OF MATERIALS.
Books must be free of mildew, mold, and dirt. They should not exhibit excessive spine damage, have missing pages, or be missing their covers. Books cannot have water damage. For media, sets must be complete and cannot be missing the original case art.
The Friends and the Library cannot accept the following. Please recycle or donate elsewhere:
- Any books which do not meet the Condition Requirements above.
- Activity Books and Workbooks (ex: Coloring Books)
- Annuals and Yearbooks
- Audio Cassettes, VHS Tapes, LP Records, & Computer Software
- Books Published by Magazines (ex: Reader’s Digest Condensed and Time-Life Books)
- Case Law and Procedural Books
- Custom Course Packets
- Dated Reference Material – over 5 years old (travel guides, computer books, etc)
- Directories and Telephone Books
- Free Copies, Examination Copies, or Advanced Reading Copies
- Journals and Periodicals (ex: Literary Criticisms)
- Microfilm and Microfiche
- Magazines (ex: National Geographic)
- Non-Western Script Books
- Tax and Government Documents or Forms
Guidelines for Donating Material to the Library Collection
We accept materials in excellent condition from the following categories:
New and recently published books and DVDs
We do not accept:
- National Geographic
- VHS videocassettes
- CD Roms
- Unlicensed copies
- Most computer books
Drop off information
The Friends of the Library accept donations between September and March. They are unable to accept donations immediately before their booksale and they take a well deserved break from June through August.
Donations can be dropped off at the library during regular open hours between September and March. Please do not leave donations outside the library when we are not open.